BP Adams announces two summer concert series
Double the music, double the fun.
Seaside Summer Concerts, the 36-year-young series, is returning to Coney Island for three nights in July after taking a hiatus in 2014.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams announced on Wednesday, July 1 that the 2015 concert series will take place at the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones, MCU Park, with each performance being free of charge and beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Adams also announced the 33rd season of the Martin Luther King Jr. Concert series, that will be held at Wingate Park in East Flatbush.
The BP is excited that Brooklynites will be able to celebrate music all summer long with the two events. “Let the music play once more, from Brooklyn’s center to its shores,” said Adams. “I am honored to host the Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series for the second straight year, and I am doubly excited to host my first year of Seaside Summer Concerts 2015 Festival at MCU Park, which will be a one-of-a-kind music festival. These shows are emblematic of the commitment to bringing our communities together in a celebration of the spirit that makes us One Brooklyn.”
The Seaside Summer Concerts 2015 Festival will begin on Wednesday, July 22 with JT Taylor “The Voice,” formerly of Kool & the Gang. Starship featuring Mickey Thomas will perform on Thursday, July 23. The festival will conclude on Friday, July 23 with Latino Music by the Sea, featuring Eddie Santiago and N’KLABE.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series will open on Monday, July 27 with Morris Day and the Time. The Annual Gospel Night will be on Monday, August 3, with performances by Ricky Dillard & New G and the Christian Cultural Center Choir. On Monday, August 10, VP Records Presents Reggae Night including Freddie McGregor, Christopher Martin and New Kingston. Finally, on Monday, August 17, Old School Night with Doug E. Fresh, Kurtis Blow and Special Ed will conclude the series.
“We are thrilled to present these free concerts that have become a tradition for all New Yorkers,” said Executive Producer Debra Garcia. “The Seaside Summer Concerts 2015 Festival at MCU Park and the 2015 Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series would not have been possible this season without the generous support of our corporate sponsors and the additional funding from Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams, City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, and the Brooklyn Delegation of the City Council, especially Councilmembers Mark Treyger, Jumaane Williams and Laurie Cumbo.”
Both series of concerts were started originally by former Borough President Marty Markowitz, who began the tradition when he served Brooklyn as a state senator. Last year, the Seaside Concert Series did not take place because of construction at the site of a new amphitheater near the Coney Island Boardwalk that will eventually be the series’ home.
“I am thrilled to have helped bring free summer concerts back to Coney Island on behalf of the thousands of residents who look forward to this great southern Brooklyn tradition,” added Treyger. “This is shaping up to be an especially exciting summer in the People’s Playground, so I invite New Yorkers to enjoy a concert and some of the many dining and entertainment options that makes Coney Island such a unique neighborhood.”
For more information on dates and performances for either concert series, visit www.brooklynconcerts.com.
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment