Brooklyn Boro

Testimony continues in Brooklyn vehicular homicide case

February 11, 2015 Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Julio Acevedo. Photo via NYPD
Share this:

In the trial for a driver charged with manslaughter in a Brooklyn crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband, the cab driver carrying the couple testified that the killer’s car appeared without much notice.

On Monday, Pedro Nuñez Delacruz testified that he drove the livery car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, but said he had no indication that a car was coming his way. 

“Did you see any headlights?” prosecutor Gayle Dampf asked him, the New York Post reported.  “No,” replied Delacruz.

 The defendant, Julio Acevedo, has been accused of going 70 mph when he smashed into the livery car in March 2013, killing the Glaubers. The couple’s premature baby was delivered after the wreck but died a day later.

Acevedo pleaded not guilty, and in an April 2013 jailhouse interview, Acevedo told ABC reporters that while his car did crash into the Glaubers, he alone was not at fault.  

“Sure I played a part. I couldn’t stop. Accidents happen. I’m sad. It was a tragedy,” Acevedo told ABC. “Let’s ask the cab driver, ‘Why did he run the stop sign?’”  

The cab driver, Delacruz, now reportedly works as a truck driver because of the memories of the crash.

Outside of the Brooklyn Supreme Court on Monday, Delacruz said, “I was looking for another job because it was a very terrible situation. It’s not easy when you think of those three people passing away. I’ll never forget it. Never,” the Post reports. 

According to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, Acevedo was traveling more than twice the legal speed limit the day of the crash. Witnesses, including firefighters, described Acevedo’s car as speeding and passing cars recklessly immediately prior to the incident.

As Acevedo’s car passed a civilian’s car, it rounded a curve at a high speed and immediately slammed into the car carrying the victims. After the crash, Acevedo exited his car, was seen observing the carnage and fled.  He was later arrested in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

His family has described Acevedo as a loving, stay-at-home dad. His lawyer says it was a tragic accident and not a crime.

“I’m made out to be the monster in all this,” Acevedo told ABC. “I can’t bring [the Glaubers] back; it was an accident. I apologize deeply.”


— The Associated Press; Charisma L. Troiano, Esq., Brooklyn Daily Eagle, contributing


Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment