Bed-Stuy resident tests negative for Ebola
Remains in isolation at Bellevue
A man who returned from West Africa recently was rushed from his Bedford-Stuyvesant home on Thursday to Bellevue Hospital to be tested for Ebola.
Late Thursday, the New York City Department of Health announced that the man tested negative for the virus, but would remain in isolation until the negative results were confirmed.
“An individual who traveled to the United States from Mali, a country with limited Ebola transmission, was taken to HHC Bellevue Hospital Center today and an Ebola test was performed. The test result is negative. Patient will remain in isolation,” DOH said in a statement.
“Because in early Ebola Virus Disease initial tests may be negative, the patient will have further Ebola tests in the coming days to confirm today’s negative result,” DOH added.
City Councilmembers Robert Cornegy, Jr. and Laurie Cumbo had said earlier on Thursday in a joint statement, “We do not yet know if our community member is suffering from Ebola or if his symptoms are due to another issue. Whatever the case may be, we are grateful that our city is well prepared to give him proven treatment of the highest quality while also protecting others who may be at risk.”
Hamen Sibu, 56, returned from Mali over the weekend, according to the Daily News.
Cornegy and Cumbo encouraged compassion. “Anyone concerned that they have been exposed to Ebola through travel or other means should call 911 to access a medical response, regardless of their immigration status or ability to pay. Others with questions or concerns may call 311 or our offices to be added to the contact list for future public health related outreach efforts.”
Central Brooklyn is home to many New Yorkers “who are part of the African diaspora,” the Councilmembers said. Officials sponsored a public health education forum focused on Ebola and enterovirus in the 36th district last week.
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment