Brooklyn Boro

Thousands celebrate Fourth of July Fireworks’ return to Brooklyn

Display launched from Brooklyn Bridge, barges in East River

July 5, 2014 By Mary Frost Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Brooklyn Bridge Fireworks. Photo by Rob Abruzzese
Share this:

A spectacular red, white and blue fireworks display, launched from three barges in the East River and from the Brooklyn Bridge itself, thrilled thousands of spectators crammed into Brooklyn Bridge Park, the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and other spots along the Brooklyn waterfront Friday night.

The sound of cheering could be heard from balconies facing the East River as Brooklynites celebrated the show.

The event marked the return of Fourth of July fireworks to the East River — and Brooklyn — after spending the past five years on the Hudson.

Subscribe to the Brooklyn Eagle

A strong riptide caused Macy’s to reposition one of the barges south of the Brooklyn Bridge, making the Promenade and Brooklyn Bridge Park prime viewing areas.

According to Macy’s, more than 1,600 shells were launched per minute during the display.

Many streets in Brooklyn Heights were closed Friday evening, with Cadman Plaza West and Columbia Heights taken over by emergency vehicles. Garbage cans were removed for security purposes.

On Montague Street near the corner of Clinton Street, a sad-looking trash bag dangled from a pole, with a helpful sign pointing out its function. It was the same story on Clinton Street at the corner of Montague Street, above.

Bags, backpacks and baby carriages were examined by police at park entrances.

The Brooklyn Heights Promenade was crammed with humanity, and spectators were turned away well before the start of the show.

An NYPD spokesperson could not provide a crowd estimate, but an officer at the scene told the Brooklyn Eagle that half a million spectators had been anticipated.

After the display wound up, streets were filled with countless thousands headed towards the subways. The line to the A train wound for two blocks along Cadman Plaza West, and pedestrians walked in the street, blocking vehicles. Crowds did not clear for roughly two hours.

The NYPD chased down reports of fireworks being set off across Brooklyn well into the early hours of the morning.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment