Make Heart Healthy Dishes Crave-Worthy
(Family Features) With more than 42 million American women suffering from some form of heart disease, eating a heart-healthy diet has never been more important.Celebrity Chef Richard Blais wants to inspire others to learn to cook fun, flavorful and convenient dishes that not only taste great – but are also good for the heart. Having lost 60 pounds since 2002 and completing his first marathon in 2011, Blais shares some of his heart-healthy cooking tips:
Recipe: Spicy BouilliaBlais
- 2 lemons, medium
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup fennel, diced
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 4 cups Spicy Hot Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
- 4 cups Low Sodium V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
- 8 clams
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 fresh halibut fillets (about 12 ounces total)
- 4 fresh scallops
- 4 fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell’s® Healthy Request® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 slice Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat Bread, toasted and cut in quarters
- Grate and zest lemons; squeeze juice into separate containers, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over low heat. Add carrot, celery, fennel, 12 cloves sliced garlic, onion, fennel seed, oregano and thyme. Cook until vegetables are soft but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable juices and clams to skillet. Increase heat to medium; cook until clams open. Remove clams from skillet; cover, keep warm. Cook remaining vegetable juice mixture until reduced by one-third. Stir in basil and half lemon zest.
- Season fish, scallops and shrimp with black pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in separate 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish, shrimp and scallops; cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley.
- Mince remaining garlic; stir in remaining oil in medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup soup. Spread soup mixture on bread quarters. Reserve remaining soup for another use.
- Divide fish, scallops, shrimp and vegetable juice mixture among 4 shallow bowls. Place 1 bread quarter on each fish fillet. Top each with 2 clams.
- Ingredient Note: Before cooking, discard any clams that remain open when tapped. After cooking, discard any clams that remain closed.
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment