Tips to prepare for marathon Sunday
The following tips are courtesy of Community Board 2:
- The 43rd Annual New York City Marathon will take place on Sunday, November 3, 2013, rain or shine.
Access the ING New York City Marathon website
- The marathon starts on the Verrazano Bridge in Staten Island and runs through all five boroughs before ending in Manhattan’s Central Park. In Community District 2, the route travels along Fourth, Flatbush and Lafayette avenues. This corresponds roughly to the stretch between Mile 8 and Mile 9of the 26.2 mile race.
Download a map of the 2013 marathon route (PDF)
- The race will officially begin at 8:30 am. There will be multiple start times for different groups to ease overcrowding on the course. Bridge and street closures will be in effect citywide from midnight until to 7:00 pm on Sunday.
Download a list of the closures, with anticipated reopening times (PDF)
- Beginning at 11:00 pm on Saturday, the Police Department will begin towing all vehicles left on Lafayette Avenue, from Flatbush Avenue to Bedford Avenue. No parking is allowed on these streets on Sunday after the race.
- Daylight Savings Time ends early on Sunday. Turn your clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday night.
- The Fire Department reminds all New Yorkers to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms when they change their clocks. The FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit will be distributing alarm batteries and fire safety information throughout the five boroughs, including on Saturday, noon-4:00 pm, at Target, 139 Flatbush Avenue.
Learn the dates, times and locations of all of the fire safety events
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment