Coney Island

Sandy documentary ‘The Storm’ premieres at Coney Island Film Festival

September 18, 2013 From Coney Island History Project
TheStorm_HiRes_CopyrightCharlesDenson_ConeyIslandHistoryProject.jpg

Coney Island History Project director Charles Denson rode out Superstorm Sandy in Sea Gate, where his apartment and car were destroyed by the storm surge. On Sunday, September 22, his documentary “The Storm” is premiering at the Coney Island Film Festival. The 20-minute film shows rare and dramatic footage of the storm coming ashore on the evening of Oct. 29, 2012, as well as preparations for the storm, the surge at Coney Island and Sea Gate, and the storm’s aftermath.

On September 22, prior to the film screening, the Coney Island History Project exhibit center will be open special hours, from 3-5 p.m. View historic artifacts, photographs, maps, ephemera and films of Coney Island’s colorful past. The exhibit center is located on West 12th Street at the entrance to Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park. Admission is free of charge.

“The Storm” is part of Program 16, featuring several Coney Island-themed films, and the screening will begin at 6 p.m. Tickets are $7. Advance ticket purchase is recommended. The screening venue is Sideshows by the Seashore at Coney Island USA, 1208 Surf Avenue, ground floor.