Brooklyn Through the Ages: March

March 1, 2012 Brooklyn Eagle Staff
Share this:

By John B. Manbeck

March 1, 1925: Trial of Gravesend’s corrupt “Boss” John Mckane comes to a close, sending him to prison.

March 2, 1918: U.S. officials raid Bethel Home (122 Columbia Heights) and Brooklyn Tabernacle (13 Hicks Street) and seize two vans of pacifist literature.

News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

March 3, 1862: Alfred M. Wood, Brooklyn’s first Civil War hero and later mayor of Brooklyn, honored with parade and reception.

March 4, 1912: Ground broken in Crown Heights for Ebbets Field.

March 5, 1891: Wiley G. Overton appointed as first African American policeman in Brooklyn.

March 6, 1776: General Lord Stirling supersedes General Charles Lee in American Revolutionary Army; Stirling becomes a hero of the Battle of Brooklyn.

March 7, 1959: Zack “The Indian” Wheat, member of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team for 17 years, voted into Baseball Hall of Fame.

March 8, 1862: The ironclad warship USS Monitor, built in Brooklyn, fights Confederate Merrimac at Hampton Roads.

March 9, 1945: Fifty hurt as wooden trolley car crashes on Brooklyn Bridge.

March 10, 1959: Twenty-five-bed pavilion for Brooklyn Thoracic Hospital opens.

March 11, 1906: St. Marks Methodist Episcopal Church (Ocean Avenue and Beverley Road) dedicated.

March 12, 1888: Blizzard of ’88 strikes Brooklyn.

March 13, 1822: First Presbyterian Church incorporated.

March 14, 1905: Bill for demolition of Kings County Penitentiary in Crow Hill (now Crown Heights) passes both houses of state legislature.

March 15, 1910: Establishment of new police precinct between Avenues H and J in Flatlands for “better protection against burglars.”

March 16, 1955: Brooklyn Daily Eagle ceases publication after 114 years.

March 17, 1668: Kings County Court of Sessions moves to Town of Gravesend from Town of Flatbush until 1685.

March 18, 1955: New York World Telegram & Sun publishes elaborate Brooklyn section after Eagle’s closing.

March 19, 1859: Brooklyn Academy of Music incorporated.

March 20, 1905: Havermeyer sugar plant in Brooklyn closes, idling 2,000 men.

March 21, 1677: Governor Edmund Andros grants patent separating New Lots from Flatbush.

March 22, 1906: Rapid Transit Commission approves extension of Ft. Hamilton subway route to Coney Island.

March 23, 1947: Annual Forsythia Day inaugurated to celebrate official borough flower.

March 24, 1911: Fire sweeps Barren Island, now Gateway National Recreation Area, ruining 100 homes.

March 25, 1907: Fire in Sheepshead Bay Race Track stable kills 11 thoroughbred horses, with loss estimated at $100,000.

March 26, 1905: Fanny Crosby Day in Brooklyn celebrated for 85th birthday of blind hymn composer.

March 27, 1732: Brooklyn slave woman and her two children offered for sale: “speaks good English and Dutch, educated in all kinds of business for city or country.”

March 28, 1906: Out of 1,000 words sent by wireless from Coney Island to Ireland, 572 are received 3,200 miles away.

March 29, 1941: Ingersoll Memorial Library — named after a Brooklyn borough president — today’s Brooklyn Public Central Library at Grand Army Plaza, dedicated.

March 30, 1647: Hans Hansen Bergen, early Norwegian settler, receives large waterfront grant in Breuckelen and Boswijck (Bushwick).

March 31, 1918: Daylight Savings Law takes effect in Brooklyn.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment