Flatbush

Henry W. Ackerson’s house and other Victorian Flatbush eye candy

May 3, 2017 By Lore Croghan Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Here is recently sold 74 Wellington Court in Victorian Flatbush. Eagle photos by Lore Croghan

Eye On Real Estate

Ka-ching!

A landmarked house in the Fiske Terrace section of Victorian Flatbush, 74 Wellington Court, was sold in March for $2.325 million to Abdulquader Khan and Sophia Khan, city Finance Department records indicate.

The 14-room Colonial Revival-style house on the corner of East 17th Street had been listed by Mary Kay Gallagher Real Estate.

Like so many houses in the 11 mini-neighborhoods that make up Victorian Flatbush, 74 Wellington Court has a backstory.

It was designed by architect A. White Pierce and built in 1905. Its original owner was Henry W. Ackerson, vice president of T.B. Ackerson Company. It was a model home for the development that the company was constructing at that time in Fiske Terrace.

Right around then, the company also constructed a sales office at 802 E. 16th St. that looks like a country cottage. The cottage look-alike is now a city-designated landmark that serves as the Q train’s Avenue H Station. See related story.

Brick-and-wood-shingle 74 Wellington Court is one of many fab houses lining the streets of Victorian Flatbush. Spring is an ideal time to stroll around and see them.

Some of the most eye-catching homes are on Albemarle Road, where actress Michelle Williams’ mansion is located. See related story.

Here are pix of some other homes you’ll want to see, too.